The February regular meeting of the Harlingen Consolidated Independent School District Board of Trustees featured performances and recognitions of the UIL District Champion Coakley Cougars, the Harlingen High School All-State band and choir performers and the PTSA Students of the Month from December and January.
The district also released its annual AEIS report during a public hearing held prior to the regular meeting. View that report by clicking here.
The board recognized Coakley after the school captured its 35th consecutive UIL District Championship last month.
Being such a creative and talented group, the Cougars were not satisfied with merely being recognized. The team highlighted some of its top performance category competitors, Adriana Rodriguez and Mathew Canon through a brief speech and the duet team of Allison Kyral and Camila Salcedo performing a skit titled “The Makeover.”
“I don’t think we have ever had a meeting that was so entertaining,” Board Member Javier De Leon said of the skit.
The Board also recognized the All-State musicians from HHS during the meeting. The students were:
2011 HHS Band All-State Students:
- Edward Moncada-12th grade, 1st chair! Bari-Sax (All State Jazz Band)
- Max Monsivaiz -12 grade, 3rd chair, Trombone (All State Jazz Band)
- Louie Pereira-12th grade, 1st chair! Drums (All State Jazz Band)
- Abby Barron-12th grade, 1st chair! Flute (All State Band)
- Amanda Lozano-11th grade, 2nd chair, Oboe (All State Band)
- Sammy Deleon-12th grade, 1st chair! Tenor Sax (All State Band)
2011 HHS Choir All-State Students:
- Evany Jackson – 10th grade, 1st chair! 2nd year at All State (All State Mixed Choir)
- Elora Ballejos – 10th grade (All State Women’s Choir)
- Sarah Lapaz – 10th grade (All State Women’s Choir)
- Chris Sanchez – 10th grade (All State Men’s Choir)
Those students are currently participating in the state competition in San Antonio.
The board also approved contract extensions for all of HCISD administrators and the hiring of Veronica Garza-Kortan for the Director of Staff Development position.