The Texas Association for School Boards presented Harlingen Consolidated Independent School District a $3,000 grant for its risk management program during Tuesday evening’s regular meeting of the Board.
The district will use those funds to purchase safety equipment across the district, allowing the district to uphold its reputation for safety.
One month after realigning postions on the Board, President Gerry Fleuriet appointed trustees to their respective committee and campus assignments, and the Board recognized Harlingen High School South graduate, Monica Peña, who received the Air Force JROTC gold medal for valor in April.
Peña received the recognition after saving a girl from a speeding car back in February. She pushed the girl out of the way of the car, getting hit and injured in the process. The Texas Scholar and 2011
“This girl is a go-getter,” Major David Casebeer said of his former cadet. “She knows how to make doors open, and I am confident she will.”
For the campus and committee assignments, the trustees will be aligned for the 2011-2012 school year via the following:
- Javier De Leon — Vernon, Long, Travis, Zavala — audit committee as chairperson and employee benefits committee as member
- Gerry Fleuriet — HHS, Vela, Bowie, Means
- Dr. Cesar Maldonado — KEYS, Crockett, Lamar, Stuart Place — facilities committee as chairperson, policy committee as member
- George McShan — Memorial, Austin, Houston, New Pathways — employee benefits committee as chairperson, facilities committee as member
- Dr. Nolan Perez — SAC, Coakley, Jefferson, Milam — audit committee and employee benefits committee as member
- Greg Powers — South, Gutierrez, Rodriguez, Wilson — facilities committee and policy committee as member
- Verna Young — ECHS, Bonham, Dishman, Treasure Hills — policy committee as chairperson and audit committee as member.