The Harlingen High School South Latin Club excelled at the National Junior Classical League 63rd Annual Convention that took place at Indiana University, in Bloomington, Indiana from July 24 to July 30.
Six Harlingen South members were in attendance: 2016 graduates Jose A. Gutierrez, Cassandra Rubio, Callie LaMotte, and Mia Aguirre as well as seniors Jailene Gonzalez and Hemma Uzoh. Team members competed in the academic competition in which they qualified at the state convention, and they also competed in the academic decathlon plus one event of their choice.
After a rigorous competition against 1,200 other high-school students and an experience-filled week, students saw their hard work paid off as they walked on stage to receive their medals and plaques.
- Jose A. Gutierrez placed 3rd in Sight Latin Reading (gold) and placed 15th overall in the Creative Arts event where 215 students competed.
- Hemma Uzoh placed 4th in Classical Art and Art History (gold) and placed 27th in Overall Academics where 743 students competed. She also placed 9th in Latin Literature (silver).
- Jailene Gonzalez placed 10th in Latin Derivatives (silver) and 16th in the Latin Vocabulary event where 227 other students competed.
- Callie LaMotte placed 12th in Latin Reading Comprehension (bronze).
- Cassie Rubio placed 20th in Roman History (plaque) where 201 other students competed.
- Mia Aguirre placed 27th in the Mythology event (Certificate of Achievement) where 155 other students competed.
The Harlingen South Latin Club is an official member of the Texas State Junior Classical League, Area F as well as the National Junior Classical League and the American Classical League.